Wednesday, June 26, 2019

adobe illustrator - Recreating cutup/displace/chopped up effect


This may be off-topic, I'll try to make sure it isn't though.


I've found a really nice effect, and I'm trying to recreate it. I don't know much about graphic design, but I've been trying lots of ways to recreate this. I just don't have the knowledge/experience to do it myself. I'm asking for instructions, or help to create a similar effect.


So, here's the example image: Displace


I've extracted the colors, and used the same font, with different text to create this: Ratskin (boring)


I think I've got the basic image the same, but I have no idea how to make all those cuts/distortion.


I made my image in Sketch, but I quickly realised Sketch wasn't enough to create that effect. So, I exported my design to an SVG, then opened in Adobe Photoshop and Adobe Illustrator. BTW, I've never used either before. After opening it those apps, I preceded to muck around a bunch, and try and get something reasonable. Photoshop didn't seem to be the right thing, so I tried Illustrator. Using Illustrator, I created this, by doing:




  • Holding alt, and using the Knife, I made a cut

  • Then I pushed cmd+shift+A to deselect everything

  • After that, I used the Direct Selection Tool, to move the shape around


Ratskin (Illustrator)


As you can see, it's... similar. Now, I could keep doing this manually, but that'd take hours. So, my question is this:


How can I create this effect without, manually cutting everything to pieces?


Maybe there isn't a super easy way to do this, but there must be a better way then what I'm doing.



Answer



Use two vertical parallelograms to create two Scatter Brushes with the following options:



Thicker parallelogram Thinner parallelogram


Make three layers, at the bottom the logo, and on top two repeated layers with just the middle path:


Layers


Each top layer has the same path repeated three times: black, orange and grey stroke, in this order, from bottom to top:


Paths


Apply the thick brush to the bottom layer paths and the thin brush to the top layer paths.


Animation


Mask each layer content inside a rectangle


END


Double click the brushes to modify the options and change the density, size, spacing, etc. To obtain a result more approximate to the example of the question, make the brushes with less density and create other thinner/thick brushes to apply always in different layers. Use the dark brush just in a rectangle around the logo frame.



No comments:

Post a Comment

technique - How credible is wikipedia?

I understand that this question relates more to wikipedia than it does writing but... If I was going to use wikipedia for a source for a res...