Friday, June 28, 2019

internationalisation - How to design a multi-language website ?


I have a blog where I write in French, and sometimes in English. Right now, the distinction is made with a "tag" called "In English", so that users can get the feed for, say, only the English posts.



In the new version of my blog, I would like to be able to have posts in whatever language, and (that's where I'm stuck) have a simple way for users to choose which language(s) they want to see/follow via RSS. Also, the same post can be available in different languages (translations)


I code everything myself, using the Symfony framework, so I can do whichever UI I choose.



Answer



Since you only have two languages, I would simply put a link by each post (perhaps just below the title) saying "Read this post in English" or "Lire ce post en français", possibly with a flag icon next to it of the UK and France respectively. Keep it simple. Clicking the link would transfer the user to the other language version of the page (if available). Make sure that each version of each article has its own URL for SEO and bookmarking purposes, for instance /en/article and /fr/article.


For language switching throughout the site, I would place a similar link in the upper right corner or somewhere similar (upper right is conventional, so people may look for it there), again with a flag for quick identification.


For RSS, you could place two links in a sidebar or somewhere similar with "subscribe to {site name} posts in English" and "Abonnez-vous à {site name} en français" preceded by RSS icons. Each RSS feed would only contain posts in that language. You could also offer a multi-language feed for people to subscribe to if they want.


No comments:

Post a Comment

technique - How credible is wikipedia?

I understand that this question relates more to wikipedia than it does writing but... If I was going to use wikipedia for a source for a res...