Sunday, June 9, 2019

Can a mobile application be made using a totally flat design?


In a current attempt at designing a mobile app using a "flat" design à la Windows Modern UI, I noticed that some aspects of the application feel weird to the average user.


The main aspects here being the buttons that do not offer the feedback people are used to on platform other that Windows Phone.


I'm aware of this question about flat buttons but I'm looking for a more mobile experience.


Is it possible to use a totally flat design where it does not look native? Do anybody have such experience?


Edit:


Thanks for the comments! To make this question more clear, what I'm trying to figure out is if flat design (or more specifically the different kind of affordance that comes with it, compared to the skeuomorphism users are used to) is a problem to most mobile users.


My little testing experience on this subject tells me that WP users won't be troubled as much as iPhone users will do. My question was more general but let's reduce it to buttons as it's the more representative case.


To sum my questions up:




  • Do anybody have some experience with (or maybe pointers to studies about) the use of unusual affordance that comes with flat buttons?

  • What pitfalls will usually comes with such buttons?



Answer



Jakob Nielsen has recently criticized Windows 8's usability, among the problems he found was that buttons and tabs didn't appear clickable because they were flat. That's a strong argument to not use this flat style on anything other than Windows 8/Windows phone, where it is the native style, and whose users might have become accustomed to it.


No comments:

Post a Comment

technique - How credible is wikipedia?

I understand that this question relates more to wikipedia than it does writing but... If I was going to use wikipedia for a source for a res...