Monday, June 10, 2019

formatting - When should I use punctuation with bullets?


When writing bulleted items, what are the rules for placing periods? Presumably bulleted items that aren't sentences wouldn't require punctuation:




  • Orange

  • Apple

  • Banana


But how about sentence bullets?



  • I am happy

  • She was happy

  • He is happy still



Should that be:



  • I am happy.

  • She was happy.

  • He is happy still?


And how do I distinguish between cases? What happens if there are multiple sentences per bullet?


Update: This is actually going to be published from a corporate website, so the house rules are less clearly defined in that case, but I think that is a great point regardless.



Answer




I like to use periods with full-sentence bullets, but it depends on the house style of wherever you're submitting your writing. My only caveat is that if you have a list where some items are full sentences and some are not, you have to be consistent: either they all get periods (even the phrases or single words) or they all don't (even the full sentences).


If there are multiple sentences per bullet, I would end the final one with a period (or whatever the appropriate punctuation is), and if it's house style not to, I would ask the person to whom I'm submitting it how s/he wants you to handle that instance.


No comments:

Post a Comment

technique - How credible is wikipedia?

I understand that this question relates more to wikipedia than it does writing but... If I was going to use wikipedia for a source for a res...