Friday, June 21, 2019

icons - Down arrow and up arrow status


I have to make an iOS app, where there are categories and I have to show the decrease and increase in status of particular category.


For decrease I used a red down arrow. For increase I used a green up arrow.


But in some categories, a down arrow is good for sales.


So I am stuck with what to do with the icons and colors.


My original approach was to change down arrow color from red to green. But the problem is, colorblind people will not understand.


Then I thought of placing emojis of smile and sad. For good it will smile, and for bad it will be sad. Down arrow and smile emoji together. However this would be unprofessional.


Please see this screenshot:


various categories, each with a red down arrow or green up arrow



Answer




I'll make this an answer so I can expand on my comment.


Your main problem is not an arrow, icon, color or emoji thing. Your main problem is a conceptual one: you're mixing taxonomies with gradations that might be (they actually are!) absolutely opposed. Thus, you're adding a load where user has to make an interpretation of whether your taxonomy and your gradation method convey a good or bad thing. This is EXTREMELY confusing, the level of friction will go to the roof and sooner or later you'll need to redo it since it has more problems that benefits.


Instead, make 2 sublists: one where "up" is good and one where "up" is bad. You can keep your current arrow up/down method just as you have it now, including colors. And if colors bother you, choose color blind safe neutral colors.


The important thing is that up must mean up and absolutely nothing else, so your current arrows will make the trick. Then, what you need to define is whether for an specific subset up is good or bad.


As easy as that, no complicated things, straight to the point



Just noticed one of your taxonomies includes the Goods word. Be very careful and try to find some alternatives since your gradation is between good and bad concepts, hence this wording might add an additional layer of friction. Or maybe not. Just in case, it's worth testing





As an alternative: what about using something like in Gino van de Staaij's answer? I mean, a non-ambiguous icon stating objective information: amount is growing bigger / amount is decreasing. This way, you don't need to add any subjectivity and your app will measure real data. I don't know if this is possible, so adding this as an alternative path/suggestion



No comments:

Post a Comment

technique - How credible is wikipedia?

I understand that this question relates more to wikipedia than it does writing but... If I was going to use wikipedia for a source for a res...