Friday, October 11, 2019

option pricing - How are quants able to verify whether their calculated prices are any good


This question is related to the discussion on Model Validation Criteria However it appeard to be very high level to me and I would like to go more into detail.


Not working at a pricing desk the following has always puzzled me: How are quants able to verify whether their calculated prices are any good? (by "calculated prices" I mean the ones output by some model - e.g. B&S, Heston )


One could perhaps distingusih the two:



  • A priori


  • A posteriori


I would assume a priory mainly consists of model choice (fitting the market data etc.) - Thus the A priori part is related to this question.


Alas, I am quite clueless what an a posteriori check would look like. What would be the benchmark one would check against ?




No comments:

Post a Comment

technique - How credible is wikipedia?

I understand that this question relates more to wikipedia than it does writing but... If I was going to use wikipedia for a source for a res...