Friday, October 11, 2019

ratings - Rate vs Like/Dislike



I'm writing a web page that will allow people to rate "objects". I was thinking of giving users the classical 5 star rating... but then I remembered the like/dislike approach and how YouTube changed from the 5 stars to the like/dislike method.


I'm going to show ratings anyhow because it is the very foundation of the site... but calculating the rating from the like/dislike approach is doable.


I'm wondering... Is there a reason for me wanting to go one or the other? What are the advantages and disadvantages of each?



Answer



I prefer like/dislike as a user. This gives me three choices (not boolean, as Tieson T. suggests): Like - Dislike - Don't vote (neutral).


The third one could be made explicit. Perhaps through the use of smileys. I don̈́'t want to spend a long time pondering "Well, it could be a 3, but maybe it s close enough to 4.. hm...".


Users are lazy. The general trend will show through anyway. And that's what you want.


No comments:

Post a Comment

technique - How credible is wikipedia?

I understand that this question relates more to wikipedia than it does writing but... If I was going to use wikipedia for a source for a res...