Sunday, March 25, 2018

gradient - Illustrator: How to create realistic reflective gold surface?


I'm trying to draw a realistic gold ingot. I've been playing with some basic shapes and gradients, but realism isn't my strong suit. I mean, it's obvious what it's supposed to represent but it just doesn't look realistic or professional. It's hard to know the angles to use and how the light falls on/reflects off the surface. And how to emulate the soft smooth rolled edges.



A gold ingot is like the traditional bars of gold bullion used for currency and stockpiling, etc.
Heres the basic shape:
enter image description here


Here i've just used the transform and extrude/bevel functions to create a simple, single layer pyramid stack and imply a third dimension.
enter image description here




I watched and read a very nice Photoshop tutorial on the kind of look I'm going for. Shame it's not directly applicable to Illustrator.




No comments:

Post a Comment

technique - How credible is wikipedia?

I understand that this question relates more to wikipedia than it does writing but... If I was going to use wikipedia for a source for a res...