Wednesday, March 14, 2018

interaction design - Fibonacci pagination


Today I stumbled upon this pagination concept and I found it fascinating: Fibonacci-based Pagination Concept.


It's actually an old shot but it made me think as I'll need to paginate some content in the near future.


Pages will soon become hundred and eventually thousands, so I'll need some "clever" pagination [in groups] (10-30 | 31-32-33...37-38-39 | 40-70) instead of just listing pages from 1 to 200.


As mentioned before, I find this approach fascinating but I also feel that the user needs to be able to reach the page that he wants to with the least possible number of steps.


I'm not a UX expert so you'll be the judge: would you consider this a good or a bad approach? And what use case is this a good or a bad approach for?


MY USE CASE


I'm unaware of the creator's use case. I'm showing a content that is ordered by time but the time variable is irrelevant to the user. Pages are there just to fragment content.



User by itself doesn't need to go to a specific page as items have a permalink.


Say that I have posts which contain aphorisms: they have been posted in different times so I can list them and order them and eventually split them into pages, but the date/time itself is irrelevant.



Answer



What problem are you solving with this?


This seems like a developer's solution to a problem they think exists. Let's actually look at how users use pages.


They want to go to:



  • a specific page

  • the first page

  • the last page


  • a specific item held within one of the pages

  • going to the next or previous page (oops, forgot that, thanks 3nafish)


Jumping 10 pages ahead at random? Why? If your user has to do that, you're not solving the problem the correct way.


No comments:

Post a Comment

technique - How credible is wikipedia?

I understand that this question relates more to wikipedia than it does writing but... If I was going to use wikipedia for a source for a res...