Tuesday, March 27, 2018

How to link font styles in Windows?


I've installed several versions of a font (standard, bold, bold-italic, etc).


But when I use them in MS Office or OpenOffice, they appear as separate fonts, and using bold/italic style modifiers gives the simulated version.


How can I instruct the programs or the OS that the alternative variants are the proper bold/italic variants to be used? I have heard of style-linking, but how can it be done, when it doesn't happen automatically?




Answer



This is actually a function of the font files themselves.


A font file can have a face name and a family name, poor developers, or perhaps just inattentive or inexperiences font developers, often apply the face name as the family name. This causes each face to be seen as a separate family.


As far as I'm aware, the only way to correct the grouping is to edit the font files themselves applying the same family name to every file.


No comments:

Post a Comment

technique - How credible is wikipedia?

I understand that this question relates more to wikipedia than it does writing but... If I was going to use wikipedia for a source for a res...