Tuesday, March 13, 2018

What is "eyebrow navigation"?


Just came across this term in a document I'm reading through, referring to "eyebrow links" in the context of navigation. Presumably it's a form of navigation at the top of the page, but what specifically is this referring to? I've never heard it before (possibly because my daily work isn't in English) and Google doesn't really give me much to go by.


It seems to refer to upper right hand navigation like the "Settings | Help | Sign out" links in Gmail:


eyebrow in Gmail


But what's the origin of this term? And though I sort of get where the "eyebrow" name comes in given that the navigation is at the top of the page above everything else, I'd love to hear what the actual reason is.



Answer



This page on TechNet talks about changes made to their website:




including “breadcrumbs” or “eyebrow” navigation,



So in this case they are using it as a synonym for breadcrumbs. Other sites I've found also make this link.


I can't find any details of where the name comes from, but your assumption that it's from it's position on the page does seem to be the logical one.


No comments:

Post a Comment

technique - How credible is wikipedia?

I understand that this question relates more to wikipedia than it does writing but... If I was going to use wikipedia for a source for a res...