Monday, March 19, 2018

mouse - Multiple Monitors and screen corners


Most people in my workplace have multiple monitors with the primary monitor being to the left of the secondary one, and I have noticed that they have trouble closing applications.


Generally, the problem arises when they aim for the infinite top-right corner of their primary monitor (the standard location for the "close" button) and their cursor slides across to the second monitor. They also tend to have trouble with items near the right edge of the primary monitor.


I always like to offset my secondary monitor so I can hit the top right corner (at the expense of the bottom right), but I have trouble convincing other people to do this.


Are there any UX guidelines for application interfaces in multi-monitor environments? And should any such guidelines account for different monitor positions? (e.g. secondary monitor to the right, secondary monitor above)



Update: I'm not so much after OS-specific tips for improving the Multi-monitor experience, as I don't have control over the user's OS behaviour (i.e. I can't force my co-workers to offset their screens). I am seeking guidelines for interface development that take account of the altered properties of multi-monitor setup (for example, how to account for the effective loss of a screen edge).




No comments:

Post a Comment

technique - How credible is wikipedia?

I understand that this question relates more to wikipedia than it does writing but... If I was going to use wikipedia for a source for a res...