Tuesday, July 3, 2018

adobe photoshop - Why do edges get blur for font outlines and shapes?


(Illustrator 2015, artboard size: 960px x 887px, Units: Pixels)


Original .ai file is here:


For a few months, I was designing some logos and shapes using Illustrator. Now that I've some concepts clear, I have noticed that professional designers have designs with crisp edges. They hardly have blurred edges. I have always made designs without align to pixel grid option checked.


So to experiment with checkbox, I did following things:


In the image attached, I drew an inverted U type shape (3). And when I zoomed in, it was perfect! no blurred edges except curved part (see 1)


Then, I copied the same shape, resized it using mouse, Ctrl and Shift to maintain ratio. Then I zoomed in and to my surprise the edge got blurred :(



Same issue happened with text. I typed in Hello (3). Created outlines from it and zoomed in. Again, every letter had blurred edges (see 4)


Now, I have following queries:



  1. Do designers really use align to pixel option checked for pixel perfect designs?

  2. Why the object edges got blurred in case of resize and text outlines?

  3. To fix, I assume you have to use Direct selection tool and grab points to fit to pixels. But it doesn't seem right to it. It would distort overall designs and curved parts. So is there any way to fix this?

  4. Am I doing something wrong and missing something in designing pixel perfect objects?


enter image description here


I tried setting H and W to perfect integer whenever they were in decimals, still, things didn't work.





No comments:

Post a Comment

technique - How credible is wikipedia?

I understand that this question relates more to wikipedia than it does writing but... If I was going to use wikipedia for a source for a res...