Friday, July 6, 2018

gimp - Add transparency to an existing PNG


I'd like to use this image on a web site.


enter image description here


What I need to do is change the background from black to transparent, so I can use the arrow on my site maintaining the page background.



I used Gimp to convert the image to .png, but how do I proceed now?



Answer



GIMP's Color to Alpha tool is very handy if you know how to use it, and this task seems particularly well suited for it:



  1. Open the image in GIMP, and change it to RGB color mode if necessary.

  2. Select Layer → Transparency → Color to Alpha...

  3. Select black (#000000) as the color to make transparent.

  4. Click "OK".

  5. Save the resulting image in PNG format:
    Image with transparency



No comments:

Post a Comment

technique - How credible is wikipedia?

I understand that this question relates more to wikipedia than it does writing but... If I was going to use wikipedia for a source for a res...