Friday, February 15, 2019

dashboard - Best way to show an "unactivated" part of an app?


I've got a dashboard that shows both active and unactivated parts of an app (users opt in to a service). Is there any standard for the best way to show an element/section is unactivated? Any way to encourage activation?


enter image description here


I'm sure there are numerous examples out there of apps that have "can't use this till you pay" section, but I can't seem to find anything that would illuminate a standard practice here.


Thanks!


edit: I'm picking this up from someone else's design. Here's my starting point: http://imgur.com/a/vtjfN



Answer



One question to ask is: Is the user aware of the benefits of upgrading / activating? How am I improving their life?



In the current state, you have a card list, other than the button label, I can't differentiate between the two. I also don't really see the benefits, and 'Activate' could mean a committment before I've learned what it's doing for my company.


Give me a reason (or feeling) of why I should buy.


If you're asking people for more money/commitment, you have a chance to:



  • teach them more

  • let them try it

  • use social proof (all the cool kids are doing it!)

  • present relevant examples

  • show testimonials



Kathy Sierra has some good illustrations of making users awesome, and bringing them more engagement with your products:


enter image description here


The cards don't give a lot of room for all of this, but you could differentiate in style and/or placement of these cards:


enter image description here


Your situation


At the very least, you don't bug existing users who may mistakenly click on the wrong card, and are presented with some sort of sales pitch. Next you can try some marketing copy to see what gets the best response, and can perhaps list a couple of benefits up front:


enter image description here


As for the design, this is just a crappy first shot (my copywriting is lame), but you can try some different color, type, and CTA buttons to see if it attracts at least some first clicks, then you have a whole other opportunity to demonstrate the value your additional services bring to the customer.


No comments:

Post a Comment

technique - How credible is wikipedia?

I understand that this question relates more to wikipedia than it does writing but... If I was going to use wikipedia for a source for a res...