Monday, February 25, 2019

Email Reminder Best Practices


I'm working on the email reminder system for a business-to-business social networking site.



I'm not sure how often to send out email reminders for users who have actions to complete. Or even how many to send out.


Personally, I've had one site send me email reminders every day for a week, while others only send me one after five days or so. One is definitely more annoying than the other, but it is more effective?


I'm assuming the task that the user is being reminded about probably determines this to a certain extent. For the site I'm working on, one particular action could require a few hours to complete (uploading a list of products) but other actions, such as connecting with another user, are not very time consuming.


Has there been any research done on the subject?



Answer



How about letting the user decide? Start with a fairly aggressive frequency, say a digest of reminders delivered once a day. Perhaps send the digest out late in the morning (according to the user's time zone) so that its something the user encounters when they first hit their inbox in the morning.


At the bottom of each digest place a large, easy to spot button, labeled "Send Me Less Email". When clicked take the user to a very easy to understand alert preferences interface where they can choose to be reminded every day, every other day, once a week, or not at all. Also allow the user to choose specific events to be reminded about immediately (keep this option as completely opt-in).


No comments:

Post a Comment

technique - How credible is wikipedia?

I understand that this question relates more to wikipedia than it does writing but... If I was going to use wikipedia for a source for a res...