Sunday, February 10, 2019

transparency - Gradient fade a PNG image using Photoshop



I've searched high and low and finally hit upon alpha channels, but I don't know how to configure an alpha channel to suit my needs. I'm trying take this image...


before


...And turn it into this. As you can see the top portion is 100% opaque, and the bottom is 0%. So its a kind of "alpha mask". How can I do this with Photoshop or Gimp or whatever, and save it into a 32-bit PNG?


result


I'm not simply trying to "cover" or "mask" my image like this question. I'm trying an alpha mask which is a whole different ballgame.



Answer




You can use clipping masks to achieve this effect!!



  1. Create 2 layers in photoshop

  2. In the 1st layer place your image content

  3. Click the 2nd layer

  4. Select White as the foreground & background color (by clicking the color swatches on the toolbar)

  5. Click the gradient tool, and choose the "opaque to transparent" gradient (the 2nd gradient in the palette)


step


6. Draw a gradient on the 2nd layer



enter image description here


7. Right-click the 1st layer and choose "Create Clipping Mask"


enter image description here


8. Done!


enter image description here


No comments:

Post a Comment

technique - How credible is wikipedia?

I understand that this question relates more to wikipedia than it does writing but... If I was going to use wikipedia for a source for a res...