Wednesday, February 20, 2019

vector - Confused By Copyright Rules


I freelance, but I'm still green in some areas and Copyright is one of them. I know about using/purchasing stock and all that, I have accounts on all the stock sites, but I created a design, which resulted in some issues.The design had some copyrighted material and here's where I'm confused.


My design is complete vector based. I either made my own vector from an image, or I used a Photoshop brush. I was once told that a loophole with using images was that if you make a brush out of an image and create that image using a brush, it's considered a tool and there's technically no copyright. This could be wrong information, or maybe it doesn't apply to certain imagery. I downloaded a brush set that doesn't have any copyright restrictions attached to it and used that to create some of my images that are an issue. So my question is, if I create my own vector or use a brush of an image, let's say Mickey Mouse, could that still create copyright issues?


My next question is fonts. Can words be copyrighted? Some of the issues in my design were words and I understand the issue was probably related to the LOOK of the words, but if I find a font (one free font I found looked similar) can I use this without any issue?



Any help would be appreciated. I haven't had to worry about copyright before, until this project and it confuses me so much!




No comments:

Post a Comment

technique - How credible is wikipedia?

I understand that this question relates more to wikipedia than it does writing but... If I was going to use wikipedia for a source for a res...