Monday, September 21, 2015

short story - How do I choose a name for my character?


I am looking for a name for my fictional, European, mysterious old man who lived roughly in the 1600's to 1800's. I want the name to have plenty of character to it, but easy to read. How should I go about doing this? (I'm not asking for specific name suggestions but a method for finding names.)



Answer



Finding the name for you is not what this site is about. Instead I'll tell you how I would find that name.


First, based on the person's character and other traits, as well as his role in the story, I would chose a nationality.


Having limited my choices to names from a certain language, I would then go through lists of names of historical persons: politicians, writers, and so on. These kinds of lists can be found or created (use the "category" function) on Wikipedia. I would then note down every name I found interesting.


Making sure the character's name is dissimilar enough to the names of other characters in my novel, I would then create my character's name from the names I have found and noted down by mixing them to my pleasure.


Et voilĂ .



No comments:

Post a Comment

technique - How credible is wikipedia?

I understand that this question relates more to wikipedia than it does writing but... If I was going to use wikipedia for a source for a res...