Monday, September 28, 2015

user centered design - Is there an intuitive way to display weeks as text?


I am working on an application where a set of data is displayed, based on a specific week. The user selects this week from a drop down box, and one of my objectives is to format the way these week options display in this drop down box. The dropdown is a set requirement; I am only formatting the way the weeks display in that list.


At present, the drop down displays a list of options, all labelled


I have done some HCI research, in the past; and I feel confident that the weeks should be displayed in the form of " to ". For example, the current placeholder displays as "2017-07-06", and I would change it to "2017-07-06 to 2017-07-13". Weeks will always start on Sunday, but so far, that appears irrelevant. I am unsure if this is the best way, or more specifically, if there is an effective solution to intuitively displaying weeks as text. I have found some valid information for days, but nothing for displaying entire weeks.


I am designing for a users purely in Australia, but I am certain that this should only have an impact on the format of day month, instead of month day. There is no requirement to meet ISO standards; so we do not necessarily have to use a strict number format.



Is there a particularly intuitive way to display weeks as text, or is the matter to subjective?



Answer



Ah Socrates answered whilst I was drawing, so ignore the text ones as I'm suggesting the same thing, the other type is a calendar control programmed to select a week, for the line on which you place the cursor.


Socrates is right, you need to test your users with different types to find out what works for them.


Week Selector


No comments:

Post a Comment

technique - How credible is wikipedia?

I understand that this question relates more to wikipedia than it does writing but... If I was going to use wikipedia for a source for a res...