Wednesday, December 16, 2015

adobe photoshop - Can I extract shadows from a texture to make a transparent image (png)?


I have this image:


No Transparency



And I would like to extract the dark parts (shadows) to make a transparency consisting of black pixels at different alpha channel values. Here is a crude example image of what I am trying to extract:


Transparency


This way, if I put solid colors behind the image, that texture will show up over the new color and make it look nice and purdy.


I suppose another way I can ask this question is how I can turn a layer working with an "overlay" or "linear burn" blend option selected into a png consisting of black pixels at different alpha channel values.


Tough question to put in words, my apologies for any confusion.



Answer



Best bet is probably Select > Color Range. Then click a white portion of the canopy and play with the "Fuzziness" slider to get you where you want.


Once you do that click okay and your'e left with a selection. Make the selection a Mask (probably have to invert the mask afterwards). Then simply lower opacity for the layer and Save for Web.


You can save specific steps of various transparency....


20 percent 20%



40 percent 40%


60 percent 60%


80 percent 80%


100 percent 100%


No comments:

Post a Comment

technique - How credible is wikipedia?

I understand that this question relates more to wikipedia than it does writing but... If I was going to use wikipedia for a source for a res...