Sunday, December 13, 2015

What tool will help me track sentences and paragraphs in resumes and cover letters so I can use this database to tailor new ones?


I'm tailoring my resume over and over to highlight my experiences that best fit the needs of employers as described in their job listings. Not to overstate the obvious, but I do this by choosing bullet point items (sentence length) from various previous versions of my resume, developing new items as appropriate and tweaking the word choices and order to give the resume a "voice" that fits the advertised culture and the industry.


A cover letter is supposed to be written for each employer and tell them a story about why I'm a good fit for their opening. A cover letter should not simply restate information from my resume in paragraph form. Again, I create new cover letters based on paragraph chunks of previous ones.


What can I use as a database to manage the sentences and paragraphs from all previous resumes and cover letters, that will allow me to select the ones that I've already used and compile it into a new, tailored resume or cover letter, and provide me with material to develop new bullet points and paragraphs, without having to open all of my previous versions and start copying-and-pasting?





No comments:

Post a Comment

technique - How credible is wikipedia?

I understand that this question relates more to wikipedia than it does writing but... If I was going to use wikipedia for a source for a res...