Saturday, December 19, 2015

education - How do you persuade an organization to value UX?


UX is such an underrated field in a lot of industries. I wonder how companies consider employing UX designers and even heavily valuing their suggestions. Some big companies happen to see the light and invest in UX, and that keeps them on top of others. However, UX people rarely make it to the top management. In Don Norman's talk ( http://vimeo.com/2963837 ), out of so many UX people (I don't know exactly), only two were vice presidents. I assume that there are even less influential UX designers in developing countries, and that's what makes it even harder for people like me. In the same talk, Don Norman suggested that UX designers should approach their executives like marketing people, showing how investing in something will affect profit. Perhaps, it's the best thing to do but it has to be mastered for it to be executed successfully.



I'm a fresh grad and am looking for a job. I think, working for a company with a more conventional job description would be the way to go. When I'm already influential enough, I'll go up to the executives and show them how UX will improve sales (in whatever industry it is. I just want to do UX)


Do you do UX as consultants or are you employed? How do you persuade companies to invest in UX? Are you lucky enough to be employed by people who you didn't have to persuade to value UX?




No comments:

Post a Comment

technique - How credible is wikipedia?

I understand that this question relates more to wikipedia than it does writing but... If I was going to use wikipedia for a source for a res...