Saturday, December 5, 2015

fiction - How can I convey something without going into details?


I am considering writing a novel in which society has fallen into a perverse pit of debauchery. This is necessary to the novel, but it also presents some problems. I want the reader to know just how bad things are, but at the same time, I want to avoid writing about them.


I don't want to simply say, "things are bad," and leave it at that. I need to show just how bad things are, so that the reader will understand the true state of society.


I also do not want to describe how bad things are, because 1) I simply don't want to write about such things, and 2) I don't want my novel to be adult-only. I want everyone to read this.


How can I describe how terrible things are, and yet not actually describe it?




No comments:

Post a Comment

technique - How credible is wikipedia?

I understand that this question relates more to wikipedia than it does writing but... If I was going to use wikipedia for a source for a res...