Wednesday, December 23, 2015

website design - What DPI should be used for what situations?


I've been seeing the word 'DPI' pop up quite a lot when I export my work out in Photoshop and Illustrator. While I know that DPI stands for 'dots per inch', and that if you have too low of a DPI on an image, heavy pixellation occurs if you try to zoom in, what would be the optimal DPI for what situations?


For example (Situations):




  • Exporting a print A4 design

  • Website layout

  • Logo (Website only - Roughly smaller than the current SE Graphic Design one.)

  • Logo (Scaling up and down - From business cards to large banners.)



Answer



I've always thought DPI was somewhat of a misnomer... It really only applies if you are printing an image, otherwise, well, pixels are pixels. For an image on a site, well, it really doesn't matter, just get as many as possible, to fit the required size. Printers vary somewhat, but around 300 DPI is usually a good rule of thumb for anything around the size of a sheet of paper or smaller.


For Logos, I'd hope they are being designed in a vector program, which means the DPI can be adjusted to whatever the size is of the object.


No comments:

Post a Comment

technique - How credible is wikipedia?

I understand that this question relates more to wikipedia than it does writing but... If I was going to use wikipedia for a source for a res...