Monday, December 14, 2015

Choosing a set of colors



I'm not a graphic designer, and I can't afford one for my open source project, so I thought I'd crowdsource this one. I'm trying to work out a set of 6-8 easily-differentiable colors for categories in my app. Here's what I have so far (and yeah, it sucks -- it's why I'm asking):


alt text


Choosing the obvious primary colors #FF0000, #00FF00, #0000FF, #FFFF00, #FF00FF, and #00FFFF looks jarring -- yes, they are easily differentiable, but at the price of being absolutely horrid.


Are there any resources on choosing a set of colors? There are many, many resources for choosing a color scheme, but these are at most 3 colors, some more "primary" than others.



Answer



If you are looking for strong colors to differentiate categories I would suggest looking at other apps with the same functionality.


I don't think there is any IP issues with color palettes.


So for example here are the category colors from Outlook 2007



Outlook 2007 Category Colors


and here are the label colors from Gmail


Google Label Colors


No comments:

Post a Comment

technique - How credible is wikipedia?

I understand that this question relates more to wikipedia than it does writing but... If I was going to use wikipedia for a source for a res...