Wednesday, December 16, 2015

Specifying distance between objects in Adobe Illustrator CS5


As I'm placing items for a design, I find myself guessing a lot about positioning, usually I will take an item and everything else that might be similar I'll use align-left, or distribute-center. However, if I have text, all aligned left, and I want an item to be X pixels away from the end of that item, is there a way i can specify that without tapping the right arrow five times?


There might be a better way to do this, something more magical that Illustrator was born to do, so any suggestions are helpful.



Answer




  1. Type your text.


  2. Create your item.

  3. Put the left edge of your item at the end of the text.

  4. With the item still selected, go under Object → Transform → Move.

  5. Enter the distance you need it to move in the dialog box. Clicking the Preview box is helpful.

  6. You can then either align subsequent items under the first item, or select subsequent items and choose Object → Transform → Transform Again, and they will all do the last transformation (in this case, moving).


No comments:

Post a Comment

technique - How credible is wikipedia?

I understand that this question relates more to wikipedia than it does writing but... If I was going to use wikipedia for a source for a res...