Tuesday, February 16, 2016

android - Should I use only one icon for a key in a keyboard?


I have the following Android custom keyboard:


enter image description here


The top 4 buttons are tabs


The middle 9 buttons are various keys that you can press for the keyboard to automatically generate a paragraph of text.


The bottom two buttons are a delete all text button and the "Done" button which goes back to the normal keyboard.


I am wondering, since the only icon I use in the keyboard is on the delete button, should I just replace that icon with the text: "Delete All Text" to keep it more consistent with the rest of the design, or should I keep it as is?



Answer




Additionally, from a UX/UI perspective, don't use a close symbol for delete. It's generally accepted in users minds that the circle X is for closing something like a pop up. The most common symbol comes from your phone itself that looks like this: Delete Symbol.


Use a check mark for Done and you will have a good balance for that section that allows common icon usage in both sections. If you feel the need, you can put the text as smaller under the icon to emphasize it's usage but most people will be find with just the symbols.


No comments:

Post a Comment

technique - How credible is wikipedia?

I understand that this question relates more to wikipedia than it does writing but... If I was going to use wikipedia for a source for a res...