Sunday, February 28, 2016

usability - How to convey a true/false value to a user?


I'm developing an application where users will be allowed to create custom fields that are part of a record, in addition to the fields that are provided by default. Users will be able to choose names for such fields, as well as their values of course.


To provide some additional validation, users will also be able to choose the data types of these fields using a drop-down list. Because the software is not specifically geared towards technical users, I'm aiming to use terms that will be recognizable to the widest audience.


For example, "text" vs string, "integer" vs int, "number" vs float... however I'm unable to find a suitable synonym for "boolean". Is this word generally recognized outside of mathematics/computing? How can I convey "boolean" to the widest audience possible?



Answer




Checkbox. It seems customers are used to this term. I would expect Yes/No but during my experience I got a lot of bug reports mentioning checkboxes, even from non-technical people.


And since customer is always right, after some time I switched from Yes/No to checkboxes so we can speak the same language.


No comments:

Post a Comment

technique - How credible is wikipedia?

I understand that this question relates more to wikipedia than it does writing but... If I was going to use wikipedia for a source for a res...