Monday, February 29, 2016

gui design - Affordance discovery on clickable elements: icons vs buttons



The proposed duplicate is symbol plus label. This is button versus symbol which is similar. I was hoping for advice on how to get users to realize the symbols are clickable. Putting a label next to the symbol is not going to help the user realize it is clickable. The question is not how to get them to recognize the symbol but to realize they are clickable. In WPF users are used to clicking buttons (not text or symbols)


This is for a document management application

This is a thick client (WPF) not a browser application
But it will have a sister browser application
In demo we get comments the screen looks busy
The button line and image / icon lines are two options (will go with only one of those options)
Search, browse history back, browse history forward, snapshot
I like the image / icon
Will users figure out they are clickable?
What can I do to help the user figure out they are clickable?


enter image description here


This is the top left of here. There are 6 click symbol/icon.

What make a user know the symbols are clickable?
enter image description here


Sorry if I wrote poor question but duplicates and answers are not addressing my question.
What can I do to help the user figure out the symbols clickable?
This may be a better perspective. There a 6 clickable symbols on this page.
How do I get users to recognize the symbols are clickable (even if they don't know what it means)?


From the aswer from Devin I am trying to represent the context of navigation bar.
This is were I am currently:
enter image description here
I am not UX trained but I don't like the label. I think it is too much noise/clutter. It makes identification harder. It is not sexy. They can learn the function of a button in a mouse over and will quickly memorize.





No comments:

Post a Comment

technique - How credible is wikipedia?

I understand that this question relates more to wikipedia than it does writing but... If I was going to use wikipedia for a source for a res...