Friday, February 19, 2016

transparency - Is there an "inverse eraser" tool on Photoshop?


I have a PNG with some transparency. enter image description here


In PhotoPaint I have a tool "transparency brush" where I simply choose 100% opacity and the transparency is removed.


enter image description here


In Photoshop the eraser tool only gives me more transparency on this already transparent zone.


I know I can duplicate the layer a dozen times to remove the transparency, but I am wondering if such a tool exists on Photoshop.





Edited some time later. My own answer provides a workaround using the original transparency as a mask.



Answer



I found a really easy way to do this.



  1. On the Channels panel click on the little menu and choose Split Channels.


enter image description here


You will get now four different windows: R,G, B and A.





  1. Now click again the menu and chose Combine Channels.




  2. Choose RGB as the combination mode.




  3. Confirm that each channel is in the right position.




enter image description here



You now have a "transparency free" RGB file with an additional file with the original transparency to be used as a layer mask.


enter image description here


This layer mask can be used to paint on and work as my original question was asking.




To add the mask.




  • Select the grayscale image (Ctrl+A) and copy it to the clipboard.





  • On the color image on the layer's dialog box, click the "Add Mask"




  • (Alt+Click) on the mask, and paste the Clipboard.




No comments:

Post a Comment

technique - How credible is wikipedia?

I understand that this question relates more to wikipedia than it does writing but... If I was going to use wikipedia for a source for a res...