Wednesday, February 17, 2016

navigation - How to choose the better placement for Sidebar: Left or Right?


I have a question about sidebar navigation.


I am designing a web page for latest news and placed the sidebar (news navigation) on the right side. My logic was that "On the news page at first people just want to see updates, the other things are secondary. They will go to the sidebar if they want to read old news, but it is a secondary action."


My Team-lead told me that it is principle to have sidebar always on the left side.


I want to know "How to choose better placement for Sidebar."



Answer




He's correct. The reason is that typical western style of reading is from Left to Right. You can see point #2 at: http://sixrevisions.com/usabilityaccessibility/10-usability-tips-based-on-research-studies/


There are also a great number of additional points you might want to look at while there.


No comments:

Post a Comment

technique - How credible is wikipedia?

I understand that this question relates more to wikipedia than it does writing but... If I was going to use wikipedia for a source for a res...