Sunday, February 14, 2016

social media - Running multiple, multi-niche blogs as an individual


If you're a member of Community Building Stack, please check out the alternative version of this question at https://communitybuilding.stackexchange.com/questions/3005/establishing-yourself-in-regular-and-nsfw-communities


As an individual, like most of us, I have a wide range of interests, all of which can potentially be turned into a nice little niche blog, or community webzine.


So lets assume I have:


Website 1 : A magazine style website split into 5 sub sections ( music, fasion, horror, alt models, fetish ). Each subsection having it's own Twitter Page, like vice.com.


Website 2 : A personal photography blog featuing my own daily photographs, plus a journal of learning different elements of photography/photoshop. + Twitter Page


Website 3 : A graphic horror website feauting art and photography - Clean & NSFW content. + Twitter Page



So now I have 3 websites, 7 Sections and 7 Twitter Pages, which I will only really want to use for posting details of site updates and answering questions made by readers or followers.


In reality though, I'm running all of these 7 sections as one individual, so it makes sense to me to have a universal Twitter page where I can connect with everyone who I may feature on any number of my sites. This means I don't need to keep logging into multiple accounts to connect with people in different areas, essentially meaning that I can be talking to a band and a photoshop expert at the same time as talking to a fetish model and a horror photographer.


Thing is though, can you successfully build a working relationship with so many different people on the same account. For example, followers who want to talk with me about my involvement in music may be offended by my involvement with NSFW or graphic horror content producers. On the other hand, some people interested in my journey into photography may like to see what I like in fetish or fashion.


I guess this comes down to the fact that social sites like Twitter don't allow you to keep some of your interests hidden from those who they do not apply to. Although this really isn't about hiding or keeping secrets, it's about having the freedom to be yourself, and connect with those you want to work with, without losing contacts based on some areas of your interests.


Do any of you have a broad range of writing topics and use one universal account, or do you split yourself into 2-3 different personas to communicate with different people, at the same time as keeping multiple social pages for your brands (in my case, the 7 website sections)?




No comments:

Post a Comment

technique - How credible is wikipedia?

I understand that this question relates more to wikipedia than it does writing but... If I was going to use wikipedia for a source for a res...