Friday, September 7, 2018

fiction - How does one include sign language in a dialogue?


If one character is using sign language and lip reading while the other is speaking normally, how do you represent the lines of the former? Quotations with "he signed" attribution or italics? E.g.



"When did you first feel the pain?" asked the doctor.



Two days ago, signed the patient.




Answer



Italics make sense when sign is not the language most of the dialogue is in (I think this is a common tactic for "secondary" languages). But if sign is the main language in your piece, I would just put it in quotes like any other dialogue.


I guess the only question I would have for you is what is the main language of the dialogue? If it's sign language, I wouldn't give it second class treatment in italics.


No comments:

Post a Comment

technique - How credible is wikipedia?

I understand that this question relates more to wikipedia than it does writing but... If I was going to use wikipedia for a source for a res...