Monday, September 10, 2018

character development - Hate to love, love to hate


I was reviewing my first draft and realized:


I need a better antagonist.


I have a flat, unspecified, weak organization with a stereotypically evil guy who are absolutely easy to defeat. I need an antagonist whom I love to hate (i.e., you'd rip him/her apart with your bare hands) and at the same time hate to love – a tragic, motivated character who has their own, plausible, honest/well-intentioned motives and reasons. A character who makes your heart ache while making you angry.


And:



  • A separate antagonist and protagonist (they can't be the same character)

  • I'm willing to change the (evil) organization the antagonist belongs to and the (good) organization the protagonist belongs to


  • I'm willing to change the protagonist (but not the side characters.)


How can I develop an antagonist that fits these requirements?




No comments:

Post a Comment

technique - How credible is wikipedia?

I understand that this question relates more to wikipedia than it does writing but... If I was going to use wikipedia for a source for a res...