Monday, September 17, 2018

adobe illustrator - Planning an 18 foot long banner


I need to create a banner that is 18 feet wide by 2.5 feet high.


What would be the best way to go about planning this as it is going to be made in Illustrator and every element will be a vector.


Would my best bet be to create the document in its native size and then scale it down in Illustrator to keep the ratio but reduce the file size?


I've come across this before working at large sizes but not quite this large.



Answer



I would contact the printer and ask them what size they would like the files delivered. A file that size still can result in issues if you are trying to deliver it at a 1:1 scale. I would ask the printer on their desired scale and at the rip to the digital printer they will modify it to a 1:1. Another thing to be aware of, you could run into computer issues when trying to work in a 1:1 scale at that size. Just setting up the file in CC-2014, at a 1:1 with nothing in it, saved out, results in a 1.4MB file.


I would also advise, if you are unaware, to convert all fonts to outline for various reasons. Some printers dont own the font and will expect you to provide them or charge you for getting them.



When you talk to the printer I would also find out what they want in color setup and if they need you to convert a Pantone to CMYK or if they even have the Pantone you are looking for if you are going with a Pantone color.


No comments:

Post a Comment

technique - How credible is wikipedia?

I understand that this question relates more to wikipedia than it does writing but... If I was going to use wikipedia for a source for a res...