Saturday, September 8, 2018

forms - Best place for "save" button


I have a tab based interface, each tab has a form with fields, the user is supposed to make changes on each of the fields in the tabs and then click on a "save all" button to save all changes, I have placed the "save all" button on the upper right corner, inside the tabs' bar, but I'm unsure if this would be a good place, is there a better place to put the "save all "button?



Answer



My instinct would be to put the save button at the bottom-right, but not within the tabs themselves - but in window space below those tabs. This communicates that the user is not saving the content of an individual tab (which a save button in each tab would suggest), but saving the state in the entire application.


The other familiar pattern, in desktop applications at least, is to put save functions in the 'File' section of an upper menu bar. But I would not create a menu bar just for the sake of introducing a 'Save' control.


No comments:

Post a Comment

technique - How credible is wikipedia?

I understand that this question relates more to wikipedia than it does writing but... If I was going to use wikipedia for a source for a res...