Saturday, February 7, 2015

fiction - Is it safe to write about a fictional murder in a real-life location?


I am writing a novel, and part of the plot has one character killing another in a specific real-life location. I mean the setting is extremely specific - for example, a particular hotel, or one particular ferry.



I'm worried that portraying violence in a specific location might be frowned upon by the real-life owners. I don't want to be sued because they don't like how I've used their property, or because they think I'm slandering them.


Can I be sued for this kind of writing? And if so, what can I do now, in the writing stage, to avoid that possibility?




No comments:

Post a Comment

technique - How credible is wikipedia?

I understand that this question relates more to wikipedia than it does writing but... If I was going to use wikipedia for a source for a res...