Monday, February 23, 2015

mobile - What size of a button can a reasonably fat finger comfortably click?


Say my button is square shaped, in a website, and I don't want to cause inconvenience for users with big fingers (and also older people and those who forgot their glasses and aren't precise at hitting the spot).


My guess is 40 x 40 pixels is a good click area, but won't it be too small on those new full HD phone screens? I have an older phone myself so I can't try it out :X


Perhaps someone has a good rule of "fat thumb" they use for these kind of issues?



Answer




The 'fat finger' error is states a minimum of 44px x 44px (around 11mm x 11mm) is advisable for the contact patch of your finger/thumb. The 'centroid' is the first part of your finger that has contact with the screen. See below for visuals.


enter image description here


enter image description here


If you're using something like Sketch to prototype this, look at Mirr.io to see how this would look on a mobile device if you have access to test devices then you can resize accordingly.


For further reading into it see here


No comments:

Post a Comment

technique - How credible is wikipedia?

I understand that this question relates more to wikipedia than it does writing but... If I was going to use wikipedia for a source for a res...