Saturday, February 21, 2015

tables - When your page has no results, what do you show?


I am paginating a data table and have different views in my application where each view has its own rows. Some views may have data, some may not.



Showing 1-0 of 0 Page 1 of 0




is what I am showing on a page with no rows.


If I had some rows to display, it would be



Showing 1-30 of 45 Page 1 of 1



What do I display in the empty case?


Some possibilities:






  1. Showing 0-0 of 0 Page 1 of 1






  2. Showing 0-1 of 1 Page 1 of 1






What do I do here?



Answer



For this situation you can use an empty state which can be just text or a graphic with text and an action button.


Example of an empty state from Product Hunt:


enter image description here


Good empty states will give the users an action button which can push them in the right direction. A button with something like "Rephrase your search" might work in this case.


It doesn't make sense to show any pagination because there are no results let alone one or even half a page of results.


No comments:

Post a Comment

technique - How credible is wikipedia?

I understand that this question relates more to wikipedia than it does writing but... If I was going to use wikipedia for a source for a res...