Monday, February 9, 2015

publisher - Is it possible to self-publish with a pseudonym but still be approachable for offers?


I'm currently writing a book and intend to sell it to make some money on the side. Now I don't have any dreams of grandeur for this book such as it being an instant hit or anything like that and I'm certainly not going to rely on it for an income so I intend to self publish rather than try and find a publisher.


Because I don't really like my real name being on the internet I would just use the a pseudonym. However, being the person I am, I want to make sure that even in the remote chances that this book or whatever else I release becomes a hit I'll be able to use opportunities that may be presented to me. One such opportunity is having my book adapted into another format such as an anime.


Now yes I'm not Japanese and in fact Australian however there is precedent. Deltora Quest written by Emily Rodda was adapted into an anime and Emily Rodda is the pseudonym for Jennifer Rowe who too is an Australian. However I would suspect that while she used her pseudonym it was her publisher Scholastic Australia who contacted her when Oriental Light and Magic and SKY Perfect Well Think and others wanted to adapt her Deltora Quest books.



The series was produced by Oriental Light and Magic and SKY Perfect Well Think. Rodda was approached with many film offers, but it was only this studio that promised to not change the story. It aired its first episode on January 6, 2007 in Japan.



Source: Deltora Quest (anime) - Production


Now if I was to use a pseudonym and self-publish the only person who could match my pseudonym to me will be me. So I am wondering: Is it possible to self-publish with a pseudonym but still be approachable for these kinds of offers (book being adapted into another media, a proper publishing deal for future titles)? or do I lock myself out from these if I don't use my real name?




Answer



Make sure it is possible for prospective business partners to reach you. Create a website for your pseudonym where you advertise your work. Make sure that website is easy to find. Put the address into the copyright information of your book, on the back-cover, into the profile of any social media presences you have, etc..


There are services which allow to register domains by proxy, so your real name doesn't show up in the domain records. Make sure to point out that you are interested in business proposals and offer an easy way to contact you through your website. That can either be an email address which is also a pseudonym or a contact form.


When people contact you with a serious offer you can reply with your real personal information.


There is nothing wrong with working under a pen name. Many cult-classics of literature were published under pen names. Like, for example the whole life-works of Samuel Clemens, Eric Arthur Blair or Howard O'Brien. What, never heard of these people? You might know them as:



Mark Twain, George Orwell and Anne Rice



You might notice that pen names usually sound like names a real person would have. So when you want to make a writing career under a pen name, you might want to pick a less obvious pseudonym than Memor-X.


No comments:

Post a Comment

technique - How credible is wikipedia?

I understand that this question relates more to wikipedia than it does writing but... If I was going to use wikipedia for a source for a res...