Thursday, February 26, 2015

website design - What to put in my portfolio if I have not had any clients yet?


I am a newbie self taught web designer. My skills are HTML/CSS web designs. My problem is, how do I start marketing myself or what type of web designs should I put in my portfolio if I have not had any clients yet?



Answer



There is something that worries me more than the lack of clients.


Are you good? Are you good enough to have a first nonprofit client?


Do you have a personal web page? I do not mind if it is on a free hosting service. I do not mind a couple of ads at the top.


Do you have some screen captures of design ideas, as a single jpg posted perhaps on deviantart.com?


I do not mind a portfolio of fake clients. That is totally fine with me, as long as the work looks good (and it is well structured) (Guess what... that could be sold as a template)


So, the first client you need to have is yourself. Then you can make some variations on a "Your company name" "template". Then, I could see if you actually know HTML and CSS, and actually know how to "design" a website.





This "templates" could be business oriented too.


A template for dentists where you actually analyze what a dentist could need, for example, a form to appoint a date, A photographer's portfolio with some categories for different types of photos, etc.




P.S. "Web designer" is a pretty complex term.


It could imply:




  • Designing the structure, the flow, the content architecture.





  • UX interfaces, assets, look.




  • Tag coding.




  • CSS/Frameworks usage.





  • Adaptable design.




  • Development skins for specific platforms.




  • JavaScript programming.




  • Some basic understanding of backend programming.





  • Etc.




So, you probably need to learn a couple of things more.


No comments:

Post a Comment

technique - How credible is wikipedia?

I understand that this question relates more to wikipedia than it does writing but... If I was going to use wikipedia for a source for a res...