Monday, February 16, 2015

info visualisation - Intuitive interface for Composing Boolean Logic?


I'm interested to know how people have, or would construct an interface which simplifies constructing logical boolean conditions? (Yes, it's a database query builder) In my mind a bad interface has them typing lots of AND, NOT IN, OR keywords etc. Or else has a million combo boxes.


I'm wondering if anyone has a good example I could glean ideas from? Or some suggestions?


At the moment I'm considering a split screen with a grid for composing the query and a canvas to display a visual representation of the sets of conditions and how they overlap etc. Like a Venn Diagram. This still gives me a problem with the usability/intuitiveness of the controls on the grid.


EDIT: I'm very interested in ideas which simplify it for less technical users. However, ideas for a version of the UI for advanced users are very helpful as well.



Answer



See also iTunes 9 or later. It adds the ability to do "nested" AND / OR expressions, akin to how a programmer would do it with parenthesis:


alt text


No comments:

Post a Comment

technique - How credible is wikipedia?

I understand that this question relates more to wikipedia than it does writing but... If I was going to use wikipedia for a source for a res...