Wednesday, February 18, 2015

How to master literary American English as a second language?


I want to learn to write fiction books (historical and science fiction) in American English. My native tongue is Russian and I speak fluently German, since I grew up in Austria.



My English is good enough for technical or business communication, but I can't express myself in English as colorful as in Russian.


In order to write fiction in English, I need (among other things) to master the language so good that I can "paint" pictures with it (i. e. make use of slang, idioms, have a feeling on how a particular sentence will affect the reader etc.).


I would highly appreciate, if you answered the following question.


What methods (apart from those given below) can I use to learn literary English (provided that I am willing to put lots of effort in this undertaking) so that I can express myself in written English as vividly as in written Russian?


Known methods:



  1. Read as much good English literature as possible.

  2. Read and practice "Elements of style".

  3. Re-read "On writing well".

  4. Watch lots of American movies.


  5. Read American newspapers.

  6. Memorize words from American slang dictionaries.



Answer



The only method that I can think of that you've missed off your list is practice. Write as much as you can and put it in front of native English speakers (especially Americans, since that's the dialect you're going for, but other native English speakers probably won't hurt either).


Interacting with native speakers can also help in general, so it might help to take part in American-dominated web forums (which will have the double benefit of giving you an audience for criticising your work). It's all very well memorising slang words, but you really have to see/hear them in context to use them properly.


No comments:

Post a Comment

technique - How credible is wikipedia?

I understand that this question relates more to wikipedia than it does writing but... If I was going to use wikipedia for a source for a res...