Monday, February 23, 2015

layout - Common screen resolution?


I'm developing a web application which is quite information heavy. This means that every pixel available in the screen for display helps a lot, to avoid the UI looking too cluttered and to display relevant data.


I was wondering: which is the "common" screen resolution? Years ago it was something like 1024×768, but nowadays it must be something much higher. I can't rely on what I use as I'm a developer and I probably have bigger screens and resolution than the average Joe user.


So, where can I find the currently recommended resolution for webapps?



Answer



That really depends on where you are in the world. Worldwide 1366x768 is still the most common, however 1920x1080 is the only resolution that is actually increasing in take-up (presumably because this seems to be the standard widescreen for modern laptops).


The website StatCounter.com should help give you some further knowledge on this.


HOWEVER, bear in mind that just because certain resolutions are more common than others this it doesn't actually take into account how wide the user has their browser window. Unfortunately, there are few known measurements for this statistic (Google analytics used to provide this, but have ceased supporting it).


No comments:

Post a Comment

technique - How credible is wikipedia?

I understand that this question relates more to wikipedia than it does writing but... If I was going to use wikipedia for a source for a res...