Thursday, December 3, 2015

How to add multiple strokes aligned 'outside' to a type layer in Illustrator CS6?


Trying to do something which seems so simple and failing badly. I have created a simple Type layer.


I need to add two strokes to the layer. But I would like the stroke to be on the outside of the layer, but the options for the stroke do not let me select that. The options are greyed out, I have the type layer selected in the appearance panel. What am I supposed to do?



Answer



Certain objects will not allow the stroke alignment options. Type is one of these objects. While creating outlines of type objects may work in some instances. I, myself, prefer to keep type live whenever possible.


In order to move a stroke applied to a type objects, simply do things how they were done prior to the stroke alignment options being added - with an effect.


Apply your stroke via the Appearance Panel. Then choose Effect > Path > Offset Path.



Remember that Illustrator centers all strokes. So if you have, for example, a 4pt stroke and you want it aligned to the outside, you need to move it +2pts (half the stroke width). If you want it aligned inside, you would use a negative value (-2pt) to move the stroke inward.


stroke


That being posted, if you simply want stroke outside of the type, just move them below the Characters item in the Appearance Panel and double the stroke width (since half the stroke will be hidden by the type).


strokes


No comments:

Post a Comment

technique - How credible is wikipedia?

I understand that this question relates more to wikipedia than it does writing but... If I was going to use wikipedia for a source for a res...