Tuesday, January 31, 2017

Remove Background in Inkscape



I have two versions of a black and white image and would like to remove the background in both. I used Trace Bitmap in Inkscape with the settings below - the white background was no problem, but in the black image it keeps removing the white part that I want to keep. Any ideas how I can switch this, or another way to remove the black background and keep the white logo? Thanks!


The left ones are the jpegs I have, the traced bitmaps on the right



Answer




  1. Select Invert image in the Trace Bitmap dialogue.

  2. Perform the trace. You will first obtain your logo in black (like in the first case).

  3. Open the Fill and Stroke dialogue (Ctrl+Alt+F) and change colour of the result to white (or whatever you like).


Alternatively:




  1. Trace like you did in the example.

  2. Draw a rectangle around the inverted logo, but inside the traced rectangle.

  3. Move the new rectangle behind the logo (End).

  4. Select both the rectangle and the logo (e.g., using a rectangle selection).

  5. Path → Difference.


No comments:

Post a Comment

technique - How credible is wikipedia?

I understand that this question relates more to wikipedia than it does writing but... If I was going to use wikipedia for a source for a res...