Saturday, January 21, 2017

web app - A cross between a DropDownList and AutoComplete Text Box


I am trying to come up with an web interface that allows the addition of an item to a list. For simplicity I'll use an example of a list of names which, when selected will be assigned to a club/group.


I originally thought of a drop-down list containing all the names. However if you have a lot of them it can be a pain to go all the way though the list. So then I thought of an auto complete text box which will auto-predict as they type, problems with this would be speculative browsing though the list and the ability to type names which are not in the database.


I wondered two things; Is it a good idea and can you think of a technique that would intersect both UI elements? Perhaps an example of recommendation of something similar that is used?




Answer



The Chosen javascript plugin may be exactly what you're after. It's a versatile combo-box solution. Elegant, too. Here's a screenshot example.


Chosen screenshot


No comments:

Post a Comment

technique - How credible is wikipedia?

I understand that this question relates more to wikipedia than it does writing but... If I was going to use wikipedia for a source for a res...