Saturday, January 14, 2017

usability - Color Emotion Naming Convention Standard?


So I'm using one of the UI frameworks for a project I'm working on and I notice that there's a general naming convention for use of specific colors that are represented as moods.


e.g.;




Assertive = Red


Calm = Blue


Stable = Gray


Balanced = Green



etc and so forth...


More specifically I'm looking at Ionic Framework which has I think 9 of these mood specified color assets. I need to expand on these and provide multiple other colors/hues etc for the same type of usage throughout the app to meet our needs.


So my question is. Did this mood naming convention originate from somewhere documented, or is it just some adhoc idea someone came up with? For instance if there's some standard that expands on this concept, what is it?


I ask so that as I add more colors in this fashion and reference them by generic mood names to kind of keep with the naming conventions of the framework, I can try to be congruent with (if) there is some sort of a standard they're following that I'm not able to find?



I figure this way if a new designer joins the team in the future, the learning curve would likely be reduced if familiar naming conventions are utilized. Thanks for any insight!



Answer



Meanings of colors vary by culture. Of course, a few colors have similiar meanings everywhere, for example gold stands for sucess and high quality in most cultures. On the other hand in the U.S. white signifies purity and is used at weddings, but in other cultures white is color used for death and funerals.


It's very likely that the authors used meanings of colors in their culture, or even came up with what suited them best. Recently, I found Colours in Cultures poster, which could help you with deciding new color names.


No comments:

Post a Comment

technique - How credible is wikipedia?

I understand that this question relates more to wikipedia than it does writing but... If I was going to use wikipedia for a source for a res...