Saturday, January 14, 2017

novel - Should I add racism in my book's world or have my world have no racism?


I've been writing a children's novel inspired by action cartoons, Star Wars, Lord of the Rings, paganism/Wicca, mythology and Harry Potter. It's a very dark children's book I'll admit, but Harry Potter was dark for a children's book and it's popular. It's based on my make-believe with toys as a kid.


I've been basing my world-building in the novel off of America, England, Ireland, Viking countries, Greece, and Native American culture. However, as time went on I've been hearing discussions from most writers as to whether or not racism needs to exist in fantasy stories. Using racism can lead to it being hard to write. Not using racism can affect the mythology and culture.


So should I use racism as one of the parts of my worldbuilding, or write a story without racism as part of my worldbuilding?




No comments:

Post a Comment

technique - How credible is wikipedia?

I understand that this question relates more to wikipedia than it does writing but... If I was going to use wikipedia for a source for a res...